Are you harming your dog with chemical cleaners?

Share this article with a friend

Everyone wants a clean house, right?

But did you know that the chemical cleaners you are using to clean your home could be dangerous and even deadly to your pets?

Just a heads up, this article wasn’t written to make you feel bad if you use chemical cleaners at home. It was written because it’s so important that you have all the information at hand so that you can make the best decisions moving forward. The only way we can create change is by bringing awareness to light so that people can make suitable changes.

So let’s dig a little deeper into the world of chemical cleaners…

Here is a list of some common home chemical cleaning products:

  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Dishwasher tablets
  • Dishwasher salt
  • Laundry detergents.
  • Bathroom Cleaners
  • All Purpose Cleaners
  • Drain Openers
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Kettle descalers
  • Metal polishes

How many do you have in your home right now? Are they stored up high or and out of reach of your fur baby?

They seem harmless and well, while they are somewhat useful, if ingested by our furry friends, can cause a lot of harmful and painful side effects and damage.

Here is a list of some common side effects if your dog comes into contact with a chemical cleaner:

  • Ulcers and sores
  • Excessive coughing.
  • Collapsing
  • Lethargic
  • Lack of appetite
  • Dribbling or foaming at the mouth.
  • Salivation
  • Stomach problems
  • Frothy and foamy vomit
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Chemical burns

Ouch. Our poor fur babies. This doesn’t sound like fun at all! It’s important to know that some of these symptoms can cause permanent damage to your dog and could sometimes even lead to an untimely death.

And it’s not just your pets that they’re causing harm too, it’s us too! In using chemical cleaners the vapours and if the product itself comes into contact with your skin, can cause serious skin, health and even breathing issues. SO it always pays to be cautious.

Ways dogs come into contact with chemical cleaning products: 

  • Direct chewing of the bottle or container they are kept in
  • Licking the floors/walls/doors etc. after you’ve cleaned
  • Vapours and fumes
  • Stepping on the floors after you’ve cleaned and then licking their paws

Is saying all that, there are 2 solutions available when it comes to preventing our dogs from coming into contact with chemical cleaners.

  1. Go Natural

We’ll be diving into this topic a little more in another blog but the gist of it is, use product that contain natural ingredients and if possible, are specifically designed for cleaning a house with pets. Pet safe products. We have a whole collection of all natural home cleaners on our website! Click HERE to see for yourself and remember to read our customer reviews!

We’ve also included this amazing video by Dr Karen Becker who gives you soooo many great ideas for natural home cleaning remedies! Be sure to watch the video below.

  1. Put your pets outside and store your chemical cleaners securely

If you are using chemical cleaners to clean your home, be sure to leave your pets outside while you’re cleaning. It’s best to leave them outside while things are drying and to allow the fumes and vapours to evaporate. If you don’t have an outside, it might be better to keep them in one room while cleaning the other with as much ventilation as possible and then once all the cleaning is done, take them for a walk in the fresh air.

It’s really very important that you secure your chemical cleaners in a foolproof location to ensure the safety of your dog. Dogs, unfortunately, cannot read labels to know that what they’re chewing on or ingesting is dangerous. They do, however, love to sniff, explore, eat and chew things that they shouldn’t. Don’t take any risks.

If you are looking to avoid some of the nasties when it comes to cleaning your home here are 4 common chemicals used in cleaners that you should try to avoid at all cost:

  • Ammonia
  • Chlorine
  • Glycol Ethers
  • Formaldehyde

As always, if you suspect your pet has come into contact with or ingested any chemical cleaners, please seek advice from your vet straight away! The quicker you can treat them the better.

If you have any questions regarding this topic or advice of your own, we’d love to hear from you! And if you have had a bad experience of your own with chemical cleaners and your pets, we’d love for you to share your story so that we can help as many people as we can keep their pets safe and healthy.

Paws of Love,

Sarah (fur mum to Frank) xo

P.S. Are you in the Frank and Jellys ‘Doggy Detectives’ Facebook group? It’s where we test dog products to save you time & money. Join HERE for FREE today xo.

Did you enjoy reading this post? Help us spread the word by sharing with a friend who might enjoy it.

Posted in


Products You Might Like